Final Update: We have included the latest versions in the download section. Currently Beta 2 and 3 for Linux and Windows. We will just continue uploading the latest dev versions, but they are stable enough for use and include patches for latest hacks availables; we focus on the more damaging ones, like Crash, immortal and invisible players. Check them periodically.
Update 2: Windows version updated to 2.0.5 Alpha 3; fixing more false positives and adding detection of more hack events.
Update: Windows version updated to 2.0.5 Alpha 2; fixing false positives and adding a couple extra features under test.
Server admins should unban DAMAGE_PLAYER_HACK detections caused by a bug int the previous 2.0.5. Alpha 1 testing version. (sorry, my fault).
We are happy to announce the inmediate availability of the SEC2 2.0.4 and 2.0.5 update for FEAR Combat Dedicated Servers.
There are open beta testing versions, so we encourage server admins to keep an eye on their servers and report issues.
- Recent changes:
- Several Hack detection features.
- Sound spam.
- Vote type spam
- Weapon Spawn (Can cause false positives for connections losing packets).
- Kill Player Hack.
- Immortal Players
- Ban other players
- Go Into Invalid Team
- Crash all other players
- Vote Kick players on any Team
Some features may not be available in Linux version. We should release an update for It in the next days.
We want to let you all know we continue the development of the antihack support of SEC2, as long as new features (Some, are related to mod support!).
Also, @Holland released a IPBan tool, perfect to deal with crashers and persistent hackers.
You can find these in the downloads section of the site (Registered users only).
The FEAR Launcher 1.4
Here is the latest update for the FEAR Launcher. If you had problems in the past, download this update that will (I hope) Fix most of the known issues.
- Run and play! You no longer need to manually copy It to the Game Directory, automatically will try to locate the FEARMP.exe file and copy to the proper location. Supports scenarios where you have several versions installed, FEAR, Steam FEAR, FEAR Combat, Portable versions, and will allow you to select the one you want to use.
- Now can run without the Multi-language support (Languages Directory). If you don’t copy the Languages Folder, It will disable all multi-language options.
- Auto creates a short-cut on desktop for easy access.
- Restored all Server list functionality, including online players, map and password protection.
- Server List now shows the progress of the servers scanned.
- Fixed Incompatibility with the upcoming FEAR Update.
- If you already have a Short-cut, It won’t be replaced. You can use a launcher for FEAR and other for FEAR Combat, but If you created one, It won’t create another.
- It will overwrite existing copies of the Launcher when automatically moving to the Game Directory.
- When you paste your SEC2 Key, verify you didn’t add extra white spaces in the end of It (The Launcher colour will turn red, remove the extra spaces and It should go back to green/blue).
- When using a SEC2 Key, It will only list SEC2 Servers.
- The Servers info is real-time, but the list Itself isn’t. If you don’t see your server listed, contact us (Sorry for doing this again, we keep the list updated manually until the next SEC2 update that will automatically list servers).
Comment here or use the contact section.
Fixed small bug with missing Languages directory, some empty strings in the GUI.
I just mailed SEC2 Beta 7.1 to all serveradmins that have requested It in the past. If you didn’t get It, please use the contact form so I can mail It to you.
This is a critical update, since It’s free of all GameSpy Services. As you maybe already know, GameSpy killed all their FEAR services, blocking us from running servers and from authenticate CDKeys (Old CDKeys and starting today, SEC2 keys too).
So we had to make a choice: to stay with the GameSpy auth process as Is, without know when It will stop working 100%, or move a step forward and remove all GameSpy features, INCLUDING THE OLD CDKEYS.
Of course this was a hard decision and we know some won’t be happy with It, but currently most of the remaining FEAR Players with old CDKeys are not so noob players that know FEAR-Community, and even have an account here, If not, the server will kick em with a message about getting a new CDKey at fear-community.org So It shouldn’t be a problem.
We are open to your comments and suggestions, help us to move to a game 100% community driven, this is the last step, without Sierra, Activision, WBGames and GameSpy.
People that have been around for a long time know FEAR is an extremely complex game with many different aspects and levels to master. HappyStick, a FEAR veteran that has been around for many years has written a very detailed article about its’ framework and all the things you need to take your game to the next level, whatever your level may be. This article consists of very basic things up to very advanced concepts. Its’ goal is to help you look at FEAR from a new perspective, and give an explanation of all the things that make this game so unique and complex on so many levels. In the future he’ll be doing more articles on this blog as well, talking about more specific topics.
It’s a long read, but take your time, as it’s definitely worth it!
There is a new FEAR server in town worthy of mention and profiling here on FEAR community.
The server is located in Chicago and is run by several veteran FEAR players (CE|Exhail & Uberhound) who are looking to setup some skilled matches between other veteran players, as well as offer their experience and wisdom to new players.
They are currently hosting stock maps for a classic FEAR Combat experience.
IP Address: 22.214.171.124:27888
Server Name: *NEW* THE NEW FEAR CTF
You can also check out their blog where they are posting some very useful articles on how to optimize your FEAR experience. I especially like their new article on FPS limiting.
Please check them out and give them some love. 🙂